Quick Start Keto
Low carbers know ketosis is the superhero of fat-burning. But what is ketosis? And how do you get into ketosis quickly?
- Keto FAQs and why it makes a difference in fat loss.
- 6 techniques to get into ketosis fast
- 3-Day rapid reach ketosis technique
Try a few rapid keto techniques and eat specific low carb keto foods. Our quick start guide covers everything you need to reach ketosis fast.
If carbs are limited to small amounts in your diet, your body relies on fat for energy. When you reach ketosis, fat burns rapidly and muscle tissue is spared.
Why Does Keto Burn Fat Faster?
To get into ketosis you’ll avoid sugar, leading to low insulin levels. Low insulin curbs hunger and accelerates fat-burning.
Metabolizing fat and producing ketones burns more energy than metabolizing carbs. The result is a much higher calorie burn.
How Do I Reach Ketosis?
Ketosis happens when carbs are very low – usually when eating 20 to 50 grams of net carbs or less per day. (Carb grams from fiber are NOT counted in daily totals.) Everyone is different. Some low carbers must eat very low carb to reach ketosis.
Typical Keto Ratio
Getting into ketosis requires eating meals that are high in healthy fats and low in carbs. Protein grams should not exceed 20 % of total daily calories.
This free online keto calculator determines your ideal nutrient ratio for weight loss or maintenance during ketosis.
The keto calculator recommends the optimum daily calories, fat, carb and protein amounts to help you get into ketosis – and meet your weight loss goal.
How to Know You’re in Ketosis
- During keto, low carbers experience bursts of energy and heightened mood – just two of the big benefits of ketosis.
- Some dieters notice a temporary, sweet taste in the mouth or a mild, sweet breath odor, a signal they have reached ketosis.
Testing for Ketosis
A measurable way to know if you’ve reached ketosis is by testing for ketones with inexpensive strips.
There are dozens of reliable brands. Check for the lowest prices: Keto Test Strips.
Keto test strips are an inexpensive way to know you’ve reached ketosis, but if the strip doesn’t register the presence of ketones, you can still be ketosis. Why is this?
- Sometimes urine samples are diluted from drinking lots of water.
- It’s also possible to burn away ketones during exercise.
Tip: Rely on eating the correct keto ratio of fat, protein and carbs, and use the keto testing strips as a “check in.”
Reach Ketosis Fast!
Reaching ketosis quickly means burning off all excess glucose, eating a specific ratio of low carb high fat foods and tracking progress by measuring ketones.
Sometimes low carbers need help from special, more aggressive techniques. Here are six strong keto techniques including a 3-day plan to reach ketosis fast.
Eat More Fat to Reach Keto
Envision fat as a food group. Eating more high fat foods curbs hunger and provides enormous amounts of energy. Focus on the healthiest fats:
- Avocado, olives, egg yolks, full-fat salad dressings and mayo.
- Drench meats and low carb veggies in grass-fed or avocado butter.
Eating fats from coconut or MCT oil products sheds even more stored body fat.
Coconut oil is essential for rapid fat-burning. Fats from coconut oil aren’t stored. Instead, coconut oil fats are used immediately for energy.
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is one of the healthiest sources of fat for your low carb diet. It’s also your new rapid fat-burning secret.
Performance MCT Oil
Triple filtered, pharmaceutical grade, BPA-free container, USA-made, identical quality to the popular ‘Bulletproof’ brand.
Left Coast’s pure MCT oil is easier to absorb and digest than other brands. MCT converts into energy faster than other oils, ignites your body’s metabolic rate and helps maintain healthy levels of cholesterol.
MCT oil is an easy way to increase your healthy fats. Add to salads, smoothies or flavored Bulletproof coffee for immediate, all day energy.
La Tourangelle Avocado Oil is all-natural, expeller-pressed, non-GMO and Kosher. La Tourangelle has a fruity roundness – great for both sweet and savory applications.
Lower Protein to Reach Ketosis
Be careful with protein. Excess protein converts to glucose. If you eat large amounts of meat, eggs or cheese, excess protein converts to glucose.
Large amounts of protein can also raise insulin levels. Spiked insulin levels encourage fat storage and compromise your goal to reach ketosis quickly.
- Count protein grams carefully and stay within your limits.
- Don’t eat more than a four-ounce serving of meat per meal. Four ounces is about the same size as a deck of cards.
Cut Carbs to Reach Ketosis
The fastest way to reach ketosis using your diet is by limiting carbs to 20% of total calories per day, but some low carbers eat very low amounts of carbs – less than 5%.
How to Eat Carbs for Keto
- Soak raspberries or blueberries in unsweetened coconut milk or heavy cream.
- Cover leafy green veggies, zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower with healthy, grass-fed butter, or olive oil with a spritz of lemon.
Exercise to Reach Ketosis
Your body can store enough glycogen in the liver and muscles to sustain 90-120 minutes of intense exercise.
It can take anywhere from 1-10 days to burn off all of that glycogen depending on how active you are and how low your carb intake is.
In order to reach ketosis you’ll need to burn off all additional glycogen supplies. To get into ketosis fast, change your workout.
How to Exercise for Keto
- Try a HIIT routine (short bursts of exercise followed by short periods of rest) for maximum sugar-burning with minimal effort.
Aggressive techniques like high intensity interval training (HIIT) are popular with low carbers because they deplete the excess glucose, and help them reach ketosis fast.
Use Fasting to Reach Ketosis
Get into ketosis quickly by fasting. Fasting taps into stored glucose, fueling your brain and body throughout the day.
There are many variations of fasting for keto. Common fasting programs avoid food of any kind (except water) for 12-24 hours to deplete these sugar stores.
Fasting is a temporary technique and should be used carefully. It’s important to be aware of the effects of fasting to reach ketosis.
3 Day Rapid Keto Technique
This method eliminates liver glycogen stores very quickly. Burn off excess sugar quickly using a few easy techniques. Follow this plan and you’ll reach ketosis within days.
- Eat your regular low carb diet during the day.
- Don’t eat anything after 6 pm. Yes, water or decaf tea/coffee is OK.
- In the morning (before eating) perform a HIIT routine, intense exercise or weight training.
Yes, go ahead and test with Keto Strips if you like. It’s probably too early for you to be in ketosis, but a few lucky low carbers WILL be there already!
- Plan high fat keto meals and begin eating a super low carb keto diet with 0 to 2% of calories from net carbs. Use the MCT oil or coconut oil in your keto meals and drinks (like Bulletproof coffee).
- In the late afternoon, use keto test strips to measure ketones and progress.
Many low carbers reach ketosis at this point. If your ketone levels are still high, do not eat anything past 6 pm.
- In the morning (before eating) perform medium intensity, steady state exercises or weight training.
- Continue eating any of the 180 low carb keto foods, adding MCT or coconut oils liberally. Try super high fat keto snacks (aka fat bombs).
- Allow no more than 5% of your total daily calories from carbs.
At this point, your excess glucose has been used for energy. Your newly efficient metabolism now burns fat for energy – the fats you eat and your stored body fat.
You may continue to eat super low carb for a while or increase your net carbs slowly each day. Use keto test strips to measure ketones, confirm ketosis and track your progress.
Keto strips will help pinpoint the best range of net carbs to stay in fat-burning keto mode.
Rapid Keto Plan for Women
The Keto Beginning is a highly recommended program – especially if you’re not ready for Atkins Maintenance phases or an increase in carbs every day.
Bust through plateaus, eat more carbs and uncover a life you love. Restore your weight, balance hormones and lift mood naturally.
This carb cycling keto meal plan slides you into fat-burning mode, without needing to go strict low carb.
If what you’re doing isn’t working,
…this is your chance to change your body, meet your goals and achieve the balance you’re searching for.