The Grocery Store on Low Carb
You’re going to the grocery store and you’re on a low carb diet. The way you shop today could make or break your diet. Don’t vex.
Here’s everything you need to build a solid low carb grocery store strategy, a few techniques and a food list to stay organized.
- 2 Things you must do when shopping low carb
- Printable low carb grocery list
These two techniques are easy, but make a huge difference when shopping for low carb foods at the grocery. Temptation is everywhere. Now is not the time to ‘wing it.’
1. Edge Out the Competition
Shop around the edges of the grocery store.
“Sticking to the perimeter” is a great strategy for low carb grocery shopping. The aisles of the supermarket contain most of the high carb and processed foods. If you’re not buying it, don’t visit it “just to look.”
2. Prevent Wandering Eyes
Keep a low carb grocery list with you while you shop. Don’t leave the house without at least a simple, low carb grocery list. Lists save time and prevent ‘grey area’ food choices.
Click the image to view, print or save. Opens in a new window.
Meat, Poultry, Fish and Seafood, Eggs
Meat is a staple of the low carb diet. Add any of these proteins to your cart.
Eggs are flexible, fast and extremely nutritious. They are also a source of healthy fat.
Note: Oysters and liver have more carbs, so some low carb diets recommend limiting them in the Induction phase.
Dairy and Cheese
Stock your cart with cream, grass fed butter, full-fat cottage cheese, sour cream, hard or soft block cheeses, ricotta and full-fat yogurt.
Healthy Oil and Fat
Most experts agree foods high in saturated fats (butter or coconut oil for example) are not a problem in the context of a low carb diet.
- Use oils which are healthy and high in omega 3 fats.
Note: Partially hydrogenated oils should always be avoided.
- Butter, coconut oil (highly recommended) and olive oil are healthy choices.
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is essential for rapid fat-burning. Fats from coconut oil aren’t stored. Instead, coconut oil fats are used immediately for energy.
La Tourangelle Avocado Oil is all-natural, expeller-pressed, non-GMO and Kosher. La Tourangelle has a fruity roundness – great for both sweet and savory applications.
Choose seasonal, low carb fruits and veggies. Leafy greens and bright colors are your go-to items. Avoid starchy veggies and most root veggies.
Zoodles and Veggie Pasta
Spiralizers are another fun, favorite tool of low carbers.
- Zucchini spaghetti (Zoodles)
- Cucumber ribbon strands
- Sweet potato, radish or turnip curly fries
- Long spiral squash strands
Paderno Spiral Veggie Slicer
The Paderno vegetable slicer makes spiral cuts for veggie noodles in seconds.
The spiral veggie slicer comes with three blades: a shredder blade (small holes), a chipper blade (large holes) and a straight blade.
The Inspiralized cookbook shows you how to transform more than 20 vegetables and fruits into delicious meals that look and taste just like your favorite indulgent originals.
Zucchini turns into pesto spaghetti; jicama becomes shoestring fries; sweet potatoes lay the foundation for fried rice.
Being on a low carb diet means more cooking and prep work. Having a few frozen items around saves time and energy.
- It’s a good idea to have frozen meats, fish, vegetables and berries handy.
- Avoid everything else in this section like a voluntary tax audit.
Some canned goods shorted cooking time. Canned goods are not equal in carbs. Read every label and check for added starch.
Add these to your low carb grocery list:
- Black or soy beans (measure carefully, use sparingly)
- Olives and coconut milk (use often)
Seeds and Nuts
Most nuts and seeds (including butter made from them) are fine if you measure out the carbs before serving.
- Some low carb diets avoid legumes, which include peanuts.
- Use unsweetened coconut when possible.
- Flax, almond and coconut flour/meal are great low carb grocery items for baking.
Spices and Condiments
Some spices and herbs help you lose weight faster on a low carb diet.
To increase your fat burning, choose:
- Mustard, full-fat mayo, high fat salad dressing, hot sauce, soy sauce (gluten free), pesto sauce, broth/bouillon, dill pickle relish.
Dr. Atkins prefers sucralose (Splenda), but small amounts (2 to 3 servings) of saccharine (Sweet N Low) are also allowed.
(Type, Serving Size, Net Carbs)
- Splenda: (sucralose) 1 packet, 1 net carb / liquid is zero carb
- Stevia: (all natural) 1 packet, 1 net carb / liquid is zero carb
- Erythritol (all natural) trace net carbs per serving
Sucralose Liquid Sweetener
EZ-Sweetz liquid sweetener is made of sucralose and has no bitter aftertaste. Zero carb, zero calories, zero impact.
De-Bittered Liquid Stevia
EZ-Sweetz’s de-bittered stevia blend has no unpleasant aftertaste. EZ-Sweetz’s blend has none of the characteristic bitterness of typical stevia sweeteners.
Now Foods erythritol powder is a natural sweetener that’s non-GMO, low glycemic impact and zero calorie.
Almost Zero Carb Meal Plan
Three easy days, one aggressive technique and major fat loss.
The Almost Zero Carb Meal Plan is designed to break even the worst stall, burn large amounts of stored fat, and induce deep ketosis – in 3 days.
- The Technique
- 150 Recipes (100 under 1g net carb)
- Shopping List & Sample Menus
- Printable Meal Planner
If what you’re doing isn’t working, get your meal plan now.