Drinking on Atkins
Low carb diets protect us from a few of alcohol’s negative effects. Did you know drinking low carb alcohol in moderation benefits your health?
It’s important to count the carbs and calories in your drink. Be aware: drinking on low carb has a slowing effect on fat burning.
- You’ll metabolize the alcohol calories first.
- While you’re metabolizing alcohol, you’re NOT metabolizing fat.
After the Atkins Induction phase, if you’re stable on your diet, it’s fine to drink low carb alcohol moderately. Alcohol stalls.
Drinking alcohol on low carb won’t knock you out of ketosis completely, but it will delay your fat burning and results.
Should You Drink on Low Carb?
You’ll need to decide. Use this low carb liquor list to plan your next indulgence, but don’t go overboard. There are a few things you need to know about drinking on Atkins.
Benefits of Low Carb Alcohol
- Moderate drinking improves sensitivity to insulin.
- Alcohol lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Drinking low carb liquor lowers the infection risk of ulcer-causing bacteria.
- Occasional drinking on low carb for social celebration relaxes mood.
Benefits of Low Carb Liquor
Unflavored liquor is zero carb – we love that part. Drinking on Atkins or low carb has more benefits. Low carb liquor packs a jolt of antioxidants.
- Research reports impressive antioxidant activity in bourbon whiskey, brandy and cognac.
- Whiskey aged in wood barrels has higher phenol levels and more ellagic acid (a free radical fighter) than red wine.
Low Carb Liquor and Gluten
Liquor is the result of a fermentation process, followed by distillation. This process makes the alcohol content higher.
Sometimes liquor comes from grain fermentation. However, the distillation process gets rid of proteins and residues, making the liquor low carb and gluten-free.
Low Carb Liquor
There are many delicious low carb alcohol choices. Straight, unflavored liquor is rock-bottom low carb – as in zero carb.
Carbs in Popular Liquor
Serving size: 1.5 oz, unflavored, 80 proof
Vodka, Gin, Whiskey, Scotch, Rum, Tequila, Brandy, Cognac
96 calories, 0 carbs
Water, Diet Tonic Water or Diet Soda Mixers
Dry: 1.4 carbs (To lower carbs, order it extra dry.)
Sweet: 4.5 carbs
Low Carb Drink Mixers
Carbs in drink mixers add up quickly. Use this low carb alcohol mixer list to count the carbs and make better choices before you pour that drink.
Carbs in Mixers and Liqueurs
Serving size: 1 oz
Mixer – Net Carbs – Description
Amaretto 17 (Almond-tasting Italian liqueur made from apricot pits.)
Anisette 11 (Italian liqueur from anise seed, licorice flavored.)
Baileys 5.5 (Irish blend of cream and whiskey.)
Carolan’s 6.5 (Irish blend of cream and whiskey.)
Chambord 11 (French berry liqueur, tastes like raspberries.)
Cointreau 10 (Style of curacao, orange flavored alcohol.)
Curacao 9.6 (Orange flavored alcohol from the Caribbean.)
Drambuie 9 (Scotch whiskey with honey.)
Frangelico 11 (Italian liqueur made from hazelnuts.)
Grand Marnier 11 (French brandy-based orange-flavored liqueur.)
Kahlua 17 (Mexican liqueur with coffee flavor.)
Midori 11 (Mexican liqueur with honeydew melon flavor.)
Peach Schnapps 12 (Alcohol distilled from fruit.)
Southern Comfort 3 (Peach flavored neutral grain alcohol.)
Triple Sec 12.5 (Style of curacao, orange flavored alcohol.)
Low Carb Mixed Drinks
Ready to mix the perfect low carb drink? Be adventurous and try a new low carb cocktail. Low Carb Cocktails, Mocktails, Poptails includes the best picks for low carb drinks, mixers and tips. Plus, how to stock a low carb bar.
Keep It Simple
After Induction, drinking on Atkins in clubs and restaurants is easy. Enjoy something classic and simple – without the guilt.
Drinking Liquor on Low Carb
Drinking low carb alcohol on Atkins occasionally is fine if you drink responsibly. Count all carbs in mixers and stay extra hydrated.
- Ketosis lowers your alcohol tolerance, so drink slowly.
- Alcohol disrupts coordination and fine motor skills, and causes a loss of inhibitions. Remember that time when… Of course you don’t. Be careful.
- Food cravings and temptations are harder to resist.
- Liquor is a diuretic, causing dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Drink extra water to stay hydrated.
Almost Zero Carb Meal Plan
Three easy days, one aggressive technique, and major fat loss.
The Almost Zero Carb Meal Plan is designed to break even the worst stall, and burn off large amounts of stored fat – in 3 days.
- The Technique
- 75 Recipes
- Sample Menus
If what you’re doing isn’t working, get your meal plan now.