Low Carb Grocery Foods
Starting a low carb diet means you’ll be making different choices at the grocery store. Those middle aisles can be a savage place. No need to panic –
Shop with your low carb grocery list instead.
Choose any item on the low carb grocery list and you’re safe. Below are details of the items included on the printable list. There are tips and recommendations for making great low carb choices in every section.
This complete Atkins grocery list is organized into basic food groups with details and best options. There are low carb foods from (almost) every aisle of the store.
Meats and Poultry
Any type or cut of meat is fine. For the best health, choose grass-fed or organic meats – avoiding antibiotic, pesticide and grain residues.
- Chicken (whole or parts)
- Beef steaks and tips
- Bacon, ham and sausage
- Pork loin, chops or steaks
- Pork or beef ribs
- Beef or pork roasts
- Ground beef
- Ground turkey
Good in a pinch and better than higher carb alternatives.
- Cold cuts such as turkey breast and pastrami (Check for added sugars.)
- Pepperoni sticks or slices
- Salami and bologna
Any type of seafood is fine- except imitation crab meat. Make sure to check the labels if you’re buying any frozen varieties.
Omega 3 fat levels are higher in wild caught seafood.
- Fresh or frozen, easy-to-peel shrimp
- Fresh or frozen fish
- Tuna in oil or water
- Fresh or canned salmon
- Fresh or frozen scallops
Dairy, Eggs, Cheese
- Heavy cream
- Sour cream
- Cream cheese
- Cheese (Hard cheeses such as cheddar and Parmesan.)
- Cheese (Soft cheeses such Muenster and Farmer’s.)
- Greek Yogurt (Choose plain, full fat and aim for less than 7 net carbs per serving.)
Low Carb Vegetables
Vegetables are a main event on any low carb foods list. Low carb veggies replace sugary side dishes and add incredible variety to meals.
- Bell peppers
- Lettuce (Large leaves act as the “bread” for sandwiches.)
- Leafy green vegetables such as spinach and kale
- Onions and garlic (for flavorful cooking)
- Sprouts for salads
- Summer squash such as zucchini
Zoodles and Low Carb Veggie Pasta
Spiralizers are another fun, favorite tool of low carbers.
- Zucchini spaghetti (Zoodles)
- Cucumber ribbon strands
- Sweet potato, radish or turnip curly fries
- Long spiral squash strands
Paderno Spiral Veggie Slicer
The Paderno vegetable slicer makes spiral cuts for veggie noodles in seconds.
The spiral veggie slicer comes with three blades: a shredder blade (small holes), a chipper blade (large holes) and a straight blade.
The Inspiralized cookbook shows you how to transform more than 20 vegetables and fruits into delicious meals that look and taste just like your favorite indulgent originals.
Zucchini turns into pesto spaghetti; jicama becomes shoestring fries; sweet potatoes lay the foundation for fried rice.
Veggie Spiralizer Cookbook
Top 98 recipes Spiralizer Cookbook is a step-by-step guide on using a spiralizer, includes a list of spiralizer-friendly veggies and delicious recipes:
- Paleo-Friendly Carbonara
- Roasted Carrot and Coconut Crostino
- Chicken and Zoodle Bowl
- Mediterranean Zoodle Platter
- Zucchini Rice with Sweet Cider Dressing
- Parmesan Broccoli Noodles with Tomatoes
- Beet Noodles with Tangy Mustard Dressing
- Gluten-Free Parsnip Puttanesca
- Avocado and Beet Omelet
- Rutabaga Spaghetti with Truffle Marinara Sauce
- Summer Prosciutto and Cottage Cheese Pasta
Low Carb Fruit
Fruits are an optional item on your low carb grocery list. They can be added after the Atkins Induction phase (Usually after the first two weeks of your diet.) once your weight and health are stable.
Some people can handle the sugar in fruit and still be healthy and slim, others can’t.
Eat fresh fruit with a fat (peanut butter, whipped cream, cheese). It slows the blood sugar spike.
- Berries: Choose fresh, local fruit in season and stick to berries which are lower in sugar.
- Try Avocados: A great snack with lemon juice or balsamic, or make guacamole for dipping low carb veggies.
Not sure which fruits are low carb enough? Here are 48 low carb fruits with 1 to 10 net carbs per serving to enjoy.
Nuts and Seeds
- Nuts: Almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts, and especially macadamia nuts (Nuts last longer if you freeze them.)
- Seeds: Sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds
When stocking your low carb kitchen, follow our low carb kitchen quick-start guide and add these items to your list of low carb foods:
- Meat: Canned tuna, salmon, crab, shrimp, sardines, anchovies, Vienna sausages and other canned luncheon meat (Good in a pinch, but go light on processed meats, as real meat is healthier.)
- Tomato Products: Canned tomatoes and tomato paste (Look for the brands with the lowest carb count.)
- Sauces: Pasta sauce, pizza sauce and Alfredo sauce with no added sugar or thickener
- Canned Veggies: Green chilies, roasted red peppers, chipotle peppers, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes in oil (A little adds lots of flavor.), hearts of palm, green beans, greens, okra (Check labels for added sugar.), sauerkraut
- Stock: Chicken and/or vegetable stock
- Nut Butters: Choose natural, unsweetened. (These need refrigeration after opening.)
- Sugar-free dill pickles or relish. (Use for tuna or egg salad.)
- Mustard (Any except sweetened mustard, especially honey mustard.)
- Cider and wine vinegar (Use balsamic vinegar sparingly.)
- Most bottled hot sauces (Tabasco)
- Most salsa (Check the label.)
- Soy sauce (Avoid soy sauce if you are gluten sensitive.)
- Mayonnaise (Look for the brands with the lowest carbs.)
- Sugar-free salad dressings
- Lemon or lime juice (1 carb per tbsp.)
Cooking or Baking Ingredients
- Whey protein powder, plain, vanilla and chocolate flavors
- Herbs and spices (Watch for mixtures with added sugars.)
- Extracts (Vanilla, lemon, almond, etc. Avoid extracts with sugar.)
- Broth or bouillon
- Cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- Gelatin (plain)
- Xanthan gum (Good for thickening and binding.)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Almond flour, Coconut flour or other nut flours (Store in the freezer.)
(Type, Serving Size, Net Carbs)
- Splenda: (sucralose) 1 packet, 1 net carb / liquid is zero carb
- Stevia: (all natural) 1 packet, 1 net carb / liquid is zero carb
- Erythritol: (all natural) trace net carbs per serving
Sucralose Liquid Sweetener
EZ-Sweetz liquid sweetener is made of sucralose and has no bitter aftertaste. Zero carb, zero calories and almost zero glycemic impact.
De-Bittered Liquid Stevia
EZ-Sweetz’s de-bittered stevia blend has no unpleasant aftertaste. EZ-Sweetz’s blend has none of the characteristic bitterness of typical stevia sweeteners.
Now Foods erythritol powder is a natural sweetener that’s non-GMO, low glycemic impact and zero calorie.
- Pork rinds (Crushed, these are a good substitute for bread crumbs.)
- Beef jerky or beef sticks
Atkins Low Carb Grocery List
Printable Atkins low carb grocery list of over 120 low carb foods, aisle by aisle. Click the image to view, print or save. Opens in a new window.
Rapid Keto Plan for Women
The Keto Beginning is a highly recommended program – especially if you’re not ready for Atkins Maintenance phases or an increase in carbs every day.
Bust through plateaus, eat more carbs and uncover a life you love. Restore your weight, balance hormones and lift mood naturally.
This carb cycling keto meal plan slides you into fat-burning mode, without needing to go strict low carb.
If what you’re doing isn’t working,
…this is your chance to change your body, meet your goals and achieve the balance you’re searching for.